Why do so many people hate this job?

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by Anonymous, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:56 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Before I post this let me get this out of the way. I am a short timer, I am finishing up my career with JNJ the end of Q4.

so with that being said, I just want to make sure all the new blood realize something. you aren't important to the company. you are disposable. if it feels like the company is pushing you and pushing you just to see how much you will take before you leave, its because they are. No pharma company wants boiler room sales guys anymore, they want walking billboards. they want ipad holders, lunch deliverers, and signature catchers. Pharma rep is a shrinking career, soon to be a dead end career.

It doesn't really matter if the death by a thousand cuts approach pushes you over the edge, even if you hang on through the steady decrease in compensation, and decrease in benefits, the company will eventually get you. i promise you this. if you are 30 or under. I guarantee you will not retire with this company. you can count on that.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

1. Management treats reps terribly. They are never happy with the results, even if you are a top performer. How is that for demoralizing?

2. Customers are not appreciate of what we do. They think we are clowns for the most part. Not all of them, but most of them. I think they are jealous of our autonomy. Although, computers and micromanagment neutralize that outside freedom.

3. The continual downsizings in the last 15 years have been too numerous to make anyone feel comfortable with their jobs.

This current gig I have will definitely be my last in this industry. Its just becoming worse and worse, every year. Of these 3, the lack of leadership/management is easily the worst. We just don't have intelligent people in our industry anymore. Instead, we have short sighted micromanagers that could hit water if they fell out of a boat. They can't manage and they can't sell. They are just useless dictator types that make the job harder than it actually is, with their mindless suggestions and disrespectable attitude towards the field.

3. Woody

Woody new user

CHOICES: We all make choices. So if you agreed at the interview to accept this job or any job, and get paid, they do the best your can and make the most of it. While doing a good job, even under not so good conditions, you will set yourself apart from the "crybabies" like most people who post here. Other companies want to hire people that will do the best they can and make money for their company. I did it for almost 30 years, and I had mgrs. that were not too good, but I did what they told me to do, and guess what they went and bugged some other rep. So the....CHOICE...is yours, grow and put the BIG panties on, or quit.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks, Pops. And yes...we’ll get of your lawn. Congrats on making it to the other side...likely with a pension in tote. No need fo be a tough talking dick though. Now off to McDonalds for 10 cent coffee to “solve problems” with your fellow fossils.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

that is funny, man.
    thanks for the laughs !

some people like "get off my lawn" person just don't have the capacity to understand that this industry is so dam disrespectful all of the time !

and that is not the right way to treat people. its been over 20 years for me, and this will be my last time. I currently have a great manager, but the upper management of my company is terrible. still, I am hitting quotas and doing well. regardless, I know this industry is for suckers, and anyone that doesn't understand that at least, is quite dumb.

6. Woody

Woody new user

you signed up for it. Your.....CHOICE.....so quit crying. Yes, I did well but many of my associates did not as they were like you clods….always complaining. Again that was their choice. My mom use to say...."you could give 100 people a $100 bill. and half would bitch about it" she is right and so Im I. If you NO like-ee...…..quit-ee…...babies!

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

20 year vet here. Recently left Big Pharma for a leading Biologics company and I couldn’t be happier. I have survivors guilt to be honest. Over time I’ve had some great managers and great memories but lately I’ve seen a lot of bullshit. Older reps who were performing being forced out, belittling DSM’s, etc....so I made a change. There are still great companies with great leaders. But my recommendation is to leave Pharma and get into biotech/Biologics if you are a performer who wants to make a career of it.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

you and your mom need to seek counseling.
    keep us posted on your progress.
    it make take 35,000 years for the both of you to evolve into humans.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The other day I came across Jake Stenziano’s podcast. He was a Pharma sales rep earlier and started investing in multifamily properties with his business partner. In 4-5 years they have built an empire of 100 Mn. Isn’t that amazing? They have created so many passive income streams that they are not just financially free but able to live life on their own terms, running great companies, having great people as part of their community, helping others and contributing to social causes. I’d definitely like to follow the roadmap they suggest instead of being miserable and insecure the whole life.

https://jakeandgino.com/what-is-jake-and-gino/

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not to minimize his success, but how much debt does he have? And what happens to his portfolio if people do not pay rent because they have no job?

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I agree - did the same after 10 years at Big Pharma. Obviously the pay/stock/benefits are exponentially better at Biotech (literally 100k+ a year more). Most Biotech seems to recognize the value of high performing sales (at Big Pharma it was always a race to “get” that next position).

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank you for sharing! Left exactly what you all talked about a year ago. Don’t miss it at all!

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well, aren't biologics sold by pharma companies? As in various injectables for RA, psoriasis, diabetes, osteoporosis, orthopedics, etc.? What am I missing here?
    I don't mean to be a smart-ass, but I sell a biologic and work for big pharma. Just curious how you are separating the two.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

:))).
    Sure, it all looks good, and I am sure the guy has done well.

But...

He is taking on a lot of risk and stress.

It only becomes fun when you sell it all and retire.

I hope his ego doesn't get the best of him in his endeavors or getting greedy with always having the need to have more money, more money.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Good question! I am wondering the same. about to go into big pharma biologics

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The absolute worst part of this job is the fact that you are being held accountable for things you can't control,
    i.e. talking to people who have no interest in talking to you and won't!

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

OMG! SPOT ON! TRUE FACT: the more sincere, intellectual, rational, introspective, and authentic you are the more you grow to loathe this job

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

the problem w/ the Pharma interview is that it is a bait and switch proposition. The tell the interviewees everything it’s not. They don’t tell them the truth at all. So in all basic purposes the interviewer is not only misleading candidates but the poor new hires are literally walking and accepting a dead end, unrewarding position.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes. And if they are lucky (or unlucky) enough to remain employed in the industry, they will have sold their souls for a paycheck.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This Industry will always be a terrible job due to the simple fact that the majority of Managers are younger inexperienced individuals that never grow professionally through-out their career. Simply put these young managers are told at a young age to pretty much OVER MANAGE their reps and never second guess themselves. They carry this poor attitude w/ them throughout their career wrecking havoc and chaos on everyone they are in charge of. Ruining careers and basically just not being nice people or not worried about doing the right thing or ever being held accountable for any decision they make.